About this Blog: “Ach ich fühl’s – German for Opera Singers” – the title tells it all. If you are a singer with the desire to sing German opera, and maybe to sing in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland, this blog might be helpful to you.
You will read …
– vignettes about the German language, customized to a singer’s needs;
– introductions to specific vocabulary or to new words,
– the linguistics of German operas, arias and Lieder,
– profile of fellow singers from all around the world who came to a German-speaking country to pursue a career in opera.
You can …
– practice your German skills with exercises, based on opera plots, arias or the life of legendary singers and great composers,
– communicate with me and your fellow singers and language learners,
– and drop me a line if you are interested in a certain topic or couldn’t understand what I have written.
About this Blogger:
Bernd Hendricks. Born in Duisburg. Writer, German Language Consultant.
I was six years old when I went to the opera for the first time. My Grandma took me to Hänsel und Gretel at the Deutsche Oper am Rhein in Duisburg. The first time I met an opera singer personally was during my time as foreign correspondend in New York, when at a Christmas party a baritone pelted me with questions about the language of Zauberflöte. He was preparing for his role as Papageno.
After my return to Berlin in September 2010, I have been giving German lessons to American singers on their audition tours, as well as an ongoing series of workshops, titled “German for Opera Singers” to singers from around the world who pursue a career in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. The workshops take place in Berlin and Vienna, and will be held in various other cities in Europe and the UK.
In 2015 I published “Ach, ich fühl’s – German for Opera Singers”, a German language textbook, customized to the needs of English-speaking singers. In this blog, you will encounter the book’s light-hearted spirit.
So far, I have written fiction and non-fiction, everything my pen could think of. Besides many hundred articles for newspapers and magazines, I have written and published several books, most recently the novels “Menschen mit Flagge” (2011) and “Illegal” (2013), both ePubli GmbH Berlin.